One of the best ways to invigorate tired muscles, enhance cell metabolism, and improve your overall health is to visit a sauna. Saunas use heat therapy to improve the general wellbeing of the body.
Saunas can be categorized as either traditional or infrared. Traditional saunas usually first heat the surrounding air which then, in turn, heats the body. Infrared saunas, on the other hand, use invisible light spectrums produced by lamps placed inside the sauna to heal the body. Unlike traditional saunas, infrared saunas heat the body directly instead of first heating the surrounding air first.
If you are looking for infrared saunas, you can either choose a far infrared sauna or a full spectrum sauna. Far infrared saunas are designed to use the farthest wavelengths of light to heal the body. The farthest light wavelengths usually have the capability of penetrating deepest in the body meaning that they are best suited to reach high levels of metabolism.
Why Use Far Infrared Saunas?
Studies do suggest that these saunas have a lot of benefits to the body. Some of the known benefits include:
- They help in weight loss
- They help in detoxification
- Relaxing sore muscles
- Improved blood circulation within the body
- Help counter the effects of aging by giving the user a tighter skin and better skin tone
- They help counter chronic fatigue
- Minimize joint pain
Guidelines To Using a Far Infrared Sauna
You can either choose to use the sauna in facilities such as spas and gyms or enjoy your sauna session at home.
If you are a first time user, you should ensure that you:
- Drink plenty of water before getting into the sauna for hydration purposes.
- Choose the correct temperature. As a beginner, you should start with lower temperatures before moving on to higher temperature levels.
- Set the timer on the sauna at the recommended heat therapy time. Ideally, as a first time user, you should use the machine for between 10-15 minutes.
- Choose a relaxing activity to do while in the sauna such as reading or listening to music.
- Choose the right attire for going into the sauna. You can either choose to go in naked or wear a swimsuit.
- After you are done with the heat therapy, give your body some time to cool down.
- Ensure that you take water after the session to rehydrate.
Things To Avoid When Using a Far Infrared Sauna
Research has shown that when used inappropriately, saunas can have detrimental effects. Studies have shown that they can interact negatively with some medications and even cause some health conditions to exacerbate.
Ideally, when using this type of sauna, you should:
- If you have been drinking alcoholic beverages, do not use a far infrared sauna
- Do not use the sauna if you have an ailment such as flu or a cold
- If you have been exposed to sunburn or overheating, wait until you are healed before using the sauna
If you are looking to relax your body or improve your general wellbeing, you cannot go wrong with a far infrared sauna provided you follow the recommended directions of use.